COVID-19 JASA Program Updates
ALL GROUP PROGRAMS ARE SUSPENDED. IN-PERSON SERVICES ARE RUNNING ON A MODIFIED BASIS.
At JASA, we are particularly affected by the public health crisis related to COVID-19. We are keenly aware that the 40,000 older New Yorkers that we serve are more at risk both from the virus itself as well as being isolated in their homes. We are working hard with our City, State, and community partners to ensure the health and welfare of our clients, tenants, and staff.
At this time, all group programs at JASA sites are suspended, and individual services are running on a very limited basis. We strongly encourage individuals in high-risk categories for complications – older adults and individuals with underlying health conditions – to limit their exposure to others and stay home.
SPECIFIC SERVICE UPDATES
● Home-delivered meal service will continue.
● JASACare Home Care service will continue.
● Senior Housing Sites remain open for tenants.
- Common areas are closed.
- Non-essential visitors are strongly encouraged NOT TO ENTER the
● JASA staff will continue to work with individual clients over the phone for programs including Caregiver Support, Care Transitions, Case Management, Elder Abuse Prevention & Intervention, Friendship Houses, Help Center, Legal Services, Long Island Center for Dignity and Support, Geriatric Mental Health Outreach Centers, New York Connects, NORCs, One Stop at JASA, and PEARLS.
SENIOR CENTER MEALS
JASA Senior Centers will no longer provide "Grab-and-Go" meals based on the Department for the Aging's (DFTA) directives. DFTA instead has instituted a Centralized Meal Delivery system. Multiple meals now will be sent directly to the homes of older adults weekly. If you have not registered with one of JASA's Senior Centers in the past but would like to receive meals, please call the JASA Senior Center closest to you. If you do not live close to a JASA Senior Center, please consult this page to identify your local senior center: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dfta/services/find-help.page. JASA's Help Center is also available to assist you at this time at email@example.com.
We are now accepting volunteers through our JASAChat program where you can check in and connect with a senior once or twice a week. Volunteers will be matched with a senior based on mutual preferences. For more information visit JASA's volunteer page.
Please check back for ongoing updates on programs, events, and resources.
Up-to-date information can be found on the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
If you have any questions on finding medical care, please call 311 or the Novel Coronavirus Hotline (888-364-3065).