Careers at JASA Social Worker - Queens LEAP
Union DC 37/Exempt/ Full-Time
Job Type: Full Time
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In accordance with the standards of the social work profession and requirements of the funding source, responsible for the:
- The provision of In-Home and In-Office Assessment of the social and emotional needs of the older adult client reporting some form of abuse or exploitation and family, utilizing prescribed standardized assessment instruments (i.e. PSA, Peerplace, PHQ-9, GAD-7); securing where appropriate the assistance of other social work and/or other professional consultants.
- The development and implementation of a comprehensive assessment, case plan and safety plan for the provision of the full range of social services to address the abuse experienced by the older adult client(s) and, if appropriate, family including:
- Individual and family counseling and guidance in the resolution of problems of the client(s) and family.
- Referral to JASA legal services if indicated
- The provision of specific information about health, welfare, education and recreation services available to serve the older client.
- Screening of client eligibility, application for, and advocacy in securing benefits and entitlements.
- Referrals for the arrangement for direct provision of services such as transportation, homecare services, meals on wheels, public assistance, Medicare, Medicaid, emergency cash relief, legal aid, protective services, vocational placement, medical and psychiatric examination and therapy, housing, etc.
- Evaluation of clients' capacity to manage their own affairs and protect themselves from financial exploitation. Assistance in securing needed and legitimate financial management.
- Disbursement of monies as issued through JASA relief funds or client financial management services, to secure needed goods and services for older clients.
- Referral to cooperative relationships with other community agencies, to meet the needs of clients who are experiencing some form of abuse.
- Ongoing reassessment of client need, monitoring of service efficacy and client safety, and appropriate revision of the case and safety plan.
- Informing supervisor of situations of crisis or circumstances where the worker requires further guidance
- Conducts group counseling and community education.
- Represents and interprets the agency at community conferences and meetings, including case presentations at the borough- specific Enhanced Multi-Disciplinary Team (E-MDT).
- Participates in JASA staff trainings and outside trainings unit meetings including weekly group supervision and monthly all borough Elder Abuse team meetings.
- Completes required web-based case records, reports and statistics,
- Performs of such other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an Accredited College or University with a Master of Social Work or equivalent Masters-level degree in counseling, gerontology, psychology or related field.
- New York State Certification in Social Work preferred
- Good writing/record keeping skills.
- Experience in individual counseling, utilizing a variety of treatment modalities, including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Person- centered therapy.
- Must be computer literate, including ability to learn and use program-specific software.
- Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English.
- Ability to travel to clients' homes using mass transit, and to negotiate any barriers in clients' residences.
- Knowledge of Spanish or Cantonese/Mandarin preferred
- An understanding and appreciation of the roles of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual preference, and individual values have as they relate to serving clients and families.
Social Worker - Queens LEAP