Careers at JASA Managing Superintendent -Brookdale Village Housing
This position comes with a one bedroom onsite apartment.
Maintenance Personnel, Painters and all Porter/Guards
The Managing Superintendent is responsible for the day to day supervision, oversight, and maintenance and monitoring of the sites facilities, equipments, plumbing, electrical, boiler, sprinkler, standpipe, HVAC and all other facilities/systems on the site.
SPECIFIC DUITES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in the hiring of staff, including interviewing.
- The day to day supervision of a unionized staff of painters, maintenance workers, porter guards; including making referral for memorandum and disciplinary actions in accordance with the JASA Corrective Action Plan.
- Plans and prepares the daily work tasks for the porter guards, painters and maintenance workers as well as assist in the completion of the work repairs when necessary.
- When necessary, refer employees for disciplinary corrective action steps.
- Supervision and monitoring of work repairs requests from residents and outside agency; including assignment of work to outside contractors.
- Coordinate the work repairs processing ensuring that the work repairs by the outside contractors are done timely and professionally; including notifying the appropriate mgt. staff to schedule appointments with the residents.
- Conducts daily inspection of work repairs/work orders delegated to the maintenance staff, ensuring the timely completion of said tasks.
- Provides and supports employees’ development and safety through cross training for employees on the proper maintenance procedure to foster safe and sanitary living conditions for the building and its resident populations.
Maintenance and other related tasks
Vacancy Turn Processing and Monitoring
- Inspection of vacant units prior to vacancy preparation and after vacancy preparation.
- Monitor and track progress of make-ready units in a timely manner and provide copy of status punch list weekly to District Property Manager.
- Provide final signoff and the keys of completed/ ready units for move-in.
Preventative maintenance coordination and tracking
- Conduct and complete weekly inspections reports of assigned buildings exterior and interior via walk-through inspection and submit copies of the inspection reports to the District Property Manager for execution.
- Ensuring timely and accurate repairs are being made. Coordinate, delegate and monitor scheduled preventative maintenance plans for common areas, residents’ apartments and ALL maintenance facilities at the sites.
Coordination and Tracking of sites facilities (systems)
- Coordinate, delegate and maintain building preventive maintenance schedule for all equipment.
- Inspect all plant equipment daily to ensure proper operation and maintenance by outside service contractors. Including boilers, pumps, HVAC, elevators, Electrical systems; Building envelop)
- Trouble-shoot and diagnosing systems problems (i.e. boiler, pump, HVAC, etc) and track, monitor and follow-up on repairs through completion to correct in-house or contractors repairs.
- Make referrals and recommendations to the District Property Manager for facility work repairs; including soliciting and submitting BIDS for the scope of repairs to be done. Additionally, each contractor should be provided with the same description of the scope of work.
- Maintains heating plant and equipment to supply adequate heat and hot water; including daily, weekly and monthly maintenance log reports.
- Maintain vendor relations and determine work scope for outside projects.
- Solicit BIDs in accordance with the JASA and HUD/DHCR regulations and submit to the
District Property Manager for review.
- Upon completion, inspect all work by outside contractors and sign off on all jobs to confirm quality work has been completed according to specifications.
- In conjunction with the District Property Manager: evaluate, make recommendations and oversee all capital improvement and construction initiatives.
City, State, NYFD Violations Processing
- Seek immediate resolution of violations including assigning repairs as needed, follow-up and approval, completion of certifications with respective agencies, appearance in court as needed on behalf of owner/agent.
- Keeps abreast of new governmental regulations and restrictions concerning maintenance operations and/or health, safety and environmental.
Other assigned duties and responsibilities:
- Submit weekly status reports to the District Property Manager
- Responds to on-call after hours emergencies ensuring that emergencies are timely addressed and contained; including completing the repairs.
- Maintains Material Safety Data Sheets (books) for all chemicals used.
- Ensures that utility room, workshops, break rooms and supply rooms are kept in a clean, orderly and safe manner.
- Assists in move-in and move-out procedures as coordinated with office personnel.
- Assists in conducting annual unit inspections for occupied units.
- Makes appearances in Housing Court for landlord tenant holdover/nuisance cases as requested.
- Attends resident and labor/management meetings; as requested.
- Maintains professional and courteous customer service relations with all residents of JASA Housing sites.
- Receives and reviews security incident reports and daily work logs from staff, distributes as appropriate and brings pertinent issues to the attention of the District Property Manager.
- Every third week, serve as the on-call supervisor, coordinating overtime for all three shifts.
- On alternating weekends, be on duty/ on site to supervise all three shifts.
- Facilitates the upkeep of grounds and landscaping for all properties.
- Assume functions of absent Managing Superintendents when they are absent.
- Special projects as assigned by District Property Manager, Director of Housing.
- All other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent.
- At least 5 years experience in building maintenance and supervision.
- Strong working knowledge of building systems including but not limited to HVAC, boilers, appliances, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and general construction.
- Possession of FDNY and other NYC required certificates, ie: boiler and standpipe licensures and certifications.
- Working knowledge of property maintenance, supervision experience, general knowledge of real estate management.
- Must be computer literate, and willing to learn program-specific software.
- Must be able to communicate in English, both verbally and written.